Pages

DIRECTORY NO LONGER UPDATED. NO EMAILS.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Beat the Back-to-School Jitters



Beat the Back-to-School Jitters (cross-posted at Countering)


I've been immersed the last several weeks in trying to put together a local "Beat the Back-to-School Jitters" events here on August 10. Both fundraiser (although parents and children can attend free) and information and tool provider, it's proving to be both time-consuming and energizing to line up sponsors (come on, sponsors!), vendors, speakers, volunteers, and door prizes. I've been on the phone, in businesses, and on the computer working to make this happen. And I've had some wonderful friends help me with this. It's coming together, and I can't wait to see families walk through those doors and hopefully leave two hours later, armed with tips, tools, information, and the absolutely vital realization that they are not alone.

I'd like to give them a little more than that, though. I'd love it if bloggers would share their posts, their worries, their tips, and their tools. We'll run them on the directory, and every attendee will leave with the event with a business card for the directory so that they can read the offerings on their own time. I'll showcase those entries that are up on the directory when I give my presentation. Help me show my local community just what a great international community there is out there, show them the diversity and the acceptance that they'll find.


Please email me your link or your piece to kwombles@gmail.com and I will get the pieces posted as they come in. Thank you!



2 comments:

Sockitmama said...

Awesome! When is the deadline for submitting a piece? I'm assuming it's going to be soon since the event is on August 10th. I would like to write/post something.

Also, I just love this idea in general. Many families where I live go away for the summer and most don't return until school starts, so something liket his is impossible in the summer. However, I think it's a wonderful idea to do once school has started.

Thank you!

Kim Wombles said...

No deadline; I'll give all of the participants at the local event a business card for the directory, and since the directory is international, and everyone has different starting dates, I think that through the first part of September we could run posts and be helpful to each other. :-)

I hope to make my local event an annual one and grow it, and I hope that our posts here will become an annual event, as well.

Followers

Button!

Autism Blogs Directory

Related Sites

General Science-Related Blogs